Translate

Monday, August 17, 2026

Already Among Us





Read: John 1:19–28

“Among you stands one you do not know. 

He is the one who comes after me, 

the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie.”

John 1:26-27

John the Baptist had become a sensation. Crowds traveled from the surrounding countryside to hear him preach and be baptized, and people sensed that God was about to do something extraordinary. So the religious leaders in Jerusalem sent representatives to ask him, “Who are you?” (John 1:19). It could have been a tempting moment for John to exaggerate his importance, but he answered plainly, “I am not the Messiah” (v. 20). Joseph Parker observed that John knew who he was—and equally important, who he was not. He understood his God-given calling: “I am the voice of one calling in the wilderness, ‘Make straight the way for the Lord’” (v. 23; Isaiah 40:3). There is freedom in knowing the work God has entrusted to us without needing someone else’s position, recognition, or influence. Like Paul, we can say, “By the grace of God I am what I am” (1 Corinthians 15:10).

John’s humility becomes even clearer when he speaks about Jesus: “He is the one who comes after me, the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie” (John 1:27). Untying another person’s sandals was the work of the lowliest servant, yet John considered even that task an honor too great in comparison with the majesty of Christ. Although John had crowds listening to him, he refused to become the center. His entire ministry pointed beyond himself to Jesus. Later he summarized his calling simply: “He must increase ; I must decrease ” (John 3:30). Our lives find their deepest purpose in the same way—not by drawing attention to ourselves, but by directing others toward Christ, “in whom all things hold together” (Colossians 1:17).

Yet John also said something startling: “Among you stands one you do not know” (John 1:26). The people were looking into the distance for God’s promised Messiah while He was already standing in their midst. We too can wait for God to reveal Himself through some dramatic answer or changed circumstance while overlooking His presence in ordinary life. Scripture assures us, “The Lord is near to all who call on him” (Psalm 145:18), and Jesus promises, “Surely I am with you always” (Matthew 28:20). The centrality of Christ reminds us that we are not the center, and Christ is not distant. May our eyes recognize Him, our hearts worship Him, and our lives point others toward Him.

Prayer:

Heavenly Father, 

Open our eyes to recognize Christ among us. Give us the humility of John, freeing us from seeking recognition for ourselves. Help us faithfully fulfill the calling You have given us and make Jesus central in all we say and do. May He increase and we decrease. 

Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Already Among Us

Read: John 1:19–28 “Among you stands one you do not know.  He is the one who comes after me,  the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy ...